become a member
Resigning Union Membership

Your options

If you are public sector worker in a unionized workplace, you have three options for representation

Leave existing union

1. Your current union

These massive corporate unions work through what’s called a “unified dues” system. That is, if you’re a member of your local union, you are also automatically a member of the state affiliate AND the national organization. You cannot be a member of just your local. If you dislike this situation, you can change it—keep reading for your other two options.

2. An Independent Local

You probably appreciate your local union and colleagues, and the hard work they do in representing you. There is a way to support them and continue having labor representation. It’s called creating an independent local union. This will involve your local union leaving its state or national union in a process called disaffiliation, and keeping your current local leaders under a new union name. Alternatively, you can ask the state to hold a workplace election and vote in a new union with new leaders.

Benefits of an independent local union:

  • 100% of your union dues stay with your local or other education workplace.
  • Educators are more likely to join than not, because they appreciate a union that focuses on issues specific to your workplace rather than national partisan politics.
  • Members save hundreds of dollars each year because they’ve cut out the middleman—the expensive bureaucracy of state and national unions.
  • Same services: being local and independent does not mean members have to lose services. A local can offer them just the same as a state or national union can.
  • In a local independent union, each member’s voice is magnified, so members become much more engaged in running their union.

3. Leave existing union

If you no longer wish to be a part of any union in your workplace, you don’t have to. Information on how to resign your union membership is available here.

For information on how to pursue these options, please contact us at Keith@FreedomToServe.org or 833-969-FAIR (3247).

Got questions? We’re here to help!

Contact Free to Serve at 833-969-FAIR (3247) or Info@AmericansForFairTreatment.org